Tuesday, August 30, 2011

LinkedIn and muscle engine photos



A parking lot sprawls behind my building. A yellow Mustang is parked there with two motorcycles in front of it. Presumably all these muscle engines belong to a couple of people in the building who share a suite. I've often walked by these parked vehicles and thought they'd make a good photo. What do you think? I'd like to find a magazine interested in these pictures.

I know my photos are those of an amateur but I love to take photos and find neat opportunities to shoot subjects that interest me. I made prints of these and gave them to the fellow who owns the yellow Mustang. Later the motorcycles disappeared for the winter and there's only the Mustang left.

Interestingly, when I first took the picture of the car there was only one bike (see first photo). Sometime between while I was adjusting my camera and the angle for a better composition the fellow or young woman must have parked the second bike closer to the Mustang and left. They must have been bemused/amused by the old gal taking a snap of their motor vehicle beauties.

Something else--there was a better photo of the two bikes and the front of the car, but you could clearly read the license plate number of the second bike, so I didn't publish it. Isn't this a neat collection of toys for someone?

An unlikely combination while I'm talking about bikes and muscle cars, but have you seen the social media site LinkedIn? It's an excellent vehicle (pun intended) for entrepreneurs, freelancers and those job seeking. You can choose a group from hundreds or start your own. I belong to a freelance writer's group and have found it extremely interesting and helpful. Too many discussions to follow but valuable. I found some newsletters for writers I otherwise wouldn't have known about, and also suggestions and links to sites especially for writers. Of course, if you're not a writer, you'd be looking for sites specializing in your field. 

Just a hint; there's a fellow writer on there by the name of Rick Lauber who's a Canadian and Edmontonian, and has written a book called Caregiver's Guide for Canadians. He starts excellent discussions on this particular LinkedIn group. I don't have a lot of contacts but I value the ones I have.

I'm sure there are plenty of good photo groups, too, and I may find some suggestions for selling my photos or pitching them to an appropriate journal.

Re: pitching an article or book--reporters and editors are very busy people. I read advice on LinkedIn how to pitch an idea to a busy journalist. I think with any business communication and especially marketing, one has to think about the other person and their needs. Indeed, any communication must involve good listening skills and empathy. It's not all about us. 

R-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-rrrrrr

No comments:

Post a Comment